Learn more about Invisalign clear aligners by reading the answers to our most frequently asked questions from the Penticton Dental Centre in South Okanagan.
Read the answers to our most frequently asked questions.
- What are Invisalign clear aligners?
Invisalign clear aligners are a series of clear, custom fitted aligners that straighten your teeth without the use of metal wires or brackets.
During the consultation process, we use advanced 3D computer imaging technology to create a treatment plan based on your unique smile.
A series of custom clear aligners will be designed to fit your teeth precisely during each stage of the Invisalign treatment process.
- What are Invisalign aligners made of?
The Invisalign aligners are BPA free and are made with USP Class VI medical-grade, high molecular weight, polyurethane resins.
- What are the features of Invisalign aligners?
Invisalign aligners are:
- Removable for eating, brushing and flossing
- A discreet solution to traditional braces
- Constructed for enhanced comfort
- Require minimal adjustment appointments
- How does the Invisalign process work?
Invisalign's clear plastic aligners are designed to move your teeth in small increments as your treatment progresses. Each aligner will be worn for about two weeks before it is replaced by the next one in the series.
This process will continue until your teeth are in the corrected positions.
- How long does Invisalign treatment take?
The duration of your Invisalign treatment will be determined by your dentist based on your specific needs.
Factors that may determine the length of your treatment include the shape of your bite, the misalignment of your teeth or jaw, and the amount of movement required to correct the problem.
- How will Invisalign fit my lifestyle?
Invisalign often fits very comfortably into the busy day-to-day lives of our patients.
You can remove your aligners whenever you need to eat, which means absolutely no dietary restrictions. Also, you can brush and floss your teeth regularly.
- How often do I have to visit the dentist?
Since Invisalign aligners require no adjustments or tightening – you just switch to a new set of aligners every two weeks – your dentist will schedule brief appointments with you about every four to six weeks.
During these appointments, your dentist will review your progress and general oral health, answer any questions you may have, and make adjustments to your treatment as required.
- How much does Invisalign cost?
Cost will depend on the severity of your case and the duration of your treatment. For instance, the more severe the misalignment of your teeth, the more aligners you'll need and the more your treatment will cost.
In many cases, the cost of Invisalign is comparable to that of traditional braces.
- Are there any food or drink restrictions?
You can remove your Invisalign aligners when you eat. Therefore, there are no dietary restrictions when it comes to Invisalign, so you can continue to eat all the foods you love!
We recommend removing them when you consume beverages such as wine, coffee, or dark soda beverages, to avoid staining your clear aligners.
- How do I clean my aligners?
- Soak your aligners using denture cleaner and/or the official Invisalign cleaning crystals.
- Rinse your aligners each time you remove them to wash away bacteria and plaque that can result in dental decay and bad breath.
- You can clean your aligners with a clear, anti-bacterial soft soap. This is an inexpensive way to keep your aligners clear, fresh, and free from harmful bacteria.
- Brush and floss your teeth before you put your aligners back in your mouth to remove food debris and bacteria between your teeth. Good oral hygiene is key to maintaining healthy teeth and avoiding cavities and decay.
- Gently brush your aligners with a toothbrush so you avoid scratching them.
- How many sets of aligners will I need?
This will depend on the severity of your misalignment. Your dentist can give you an accurate estimate, during your initial consultation, of how long your treatment will take, based on a careful evaluation of your bite.
- Can adults use Invisalign?
Yes! Anyone who has healthy teeth and gums is a potential candidate for Invisalign.
More and more adults are deciding to undergo orthodontic treatment these days, in large part because options like Invisalign have become available.
- Can teenagers use Invisalign?
Absolutely! In fact, Invisalign has created a line of aligners to meet the unique needs of teenagers.
Invisalign Teen aligners have compliance indicators on them (small blue dots that fade away after the aligners have been worn for two full weeks) to help teens stay on track with their treatment.
Invisalign Teen aligners also come with eruption tabs that provide space for second molars and prevent them from growing in crooked.
- How often do I have to change my Invisalign aligners?
Most patients switch to their next set of aligners every two weeks or so. Your dentist will tell you exactly how often you should switch out your aligners.
- Can I play sports with Invisalign?
Invisalign aligners are removable so you can play sports without worrying about causing damage to your aligners.
Keep in mind that your aligners must be kept in for a minimum of 22 hours a day, so plan your time carefully.
Orthodontic treatment can cause your teeth to loosen slightly as they shift into their new positions, making your teeth more susceptible to damage. You may also want to invest in a sports mouth guard to protect your teeth.
- Can I play my instrument with Invisalign?
Yes! You can remove your aligners to practice playing your instrument, and put them back in when you're done.
Remember that your aligners must be kept in for a minimum of 22 hours a day, so plan your time carefully.
- How do I store my aligners?
Your Invisalign aligners will come with a case, and this is where you should put your aligners whenever you take them out to keep them safe.
Can't find the answer you're looking for?
Get in touch. We'd be glad to answer any other questions you may have.